Opening to the Public on Kauai August 6th, 2018. Alakaʻi O Kauaʻi Public Charter School was unanimously approved by the Hawaii State Charter School Commission on August 11, 2016. Initially serving Kindergarten – fifth grades, it will be an additional choice for Kaua`i schools and free for Kaua`i’s keiki. The school will have three main principles: project-based learning (PBL), Social Emotional learning (SEL) and Individual Learning Plans.
Our mission as a project-based K-8 school is to provide a progressive, innovative curriculum that prepares students for a successful future. We are committed to interdisciplinary instruction with equal emphasis on teaching to the whole child academically, socially, and emotionally. Our students will learn and perpetuate the cultural traditions and values of Hawai`i while acquiring and demonstrating 21st Century Skills that are needed to lead productive lives and contribute meaningfully to society.
Alaka`i O Kaua`i Charter School will provide a comprehensive education through project-based learning that meets the individual needs and potential of every student.
- We believe that all children can be successful learners.
- We believe in the development of the whole child (academic, social, emotional).
- We believe children learn best when engaged in instruction.
- We believe that language and cultural diversity can be assets for teaching and learning.
- We believe that learning is more relevant to children when it engages them in projects that help solve problems important to them and their community.
We are located at Kahili Mountain Park on the side side of Kauai.
Alakaʻi O Kauaʻi Public Charter School was unanimously approved by the Hawaii State Charter School Commission, however it will not start to receive its funding until the doors open in the Fall. Funds are needed to renovate our site and survive until the doors open and we start to receive state funding. Alaka`i O Kaua`i is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and a tax deduction letter for your donation can be provided upon request.
Checks may be made out to Alaka`i O Kaua`i and mailed to P.O. Box 1585, Kapaa, HI 96746.